Tuesday, March 01, 2016


Quick zine run-down

Jennifer Love Hewitt Times Infinity, by Kevin Fanning
An exquisite collection of micro-stories featuring the inimitable JLH. Je ne sais quois, but she's got it. So bad she's good, so ridiculous she's awesome. She's like Alyssa Milano for a younger generation, so who better to be the subject of an homage in zine format?

Meen Comics Goes to the Opera, by Trixie Biltmore
Funny commentary about seeing a show and going behind the scenes at Portland Opera. It's got me kind of thinking maybe opera is, like JLH, so ridiculous it's awesome?

Painful Vices: A Tale of Bad Habits, by Lisa Rosalie Eisenberg
I'm a fan of all Lisa's comics that I've read. The title of this one is pretty self-explanatory, so I'll just add that this time around she's outdone herself with the artwork, particularly in depicting emotions with subtle facial expressions.

Le Croisic: Our Night in a French Phone Booth and Other Stories, bu Justin Hall
Gay, punk and zine-y, what more could anyone want? The title's "other stories" include an internet minister officiating a same-sex wedding in San Francisco dressed as Green Lantern, and a dude remembering his abusive closeted high school boyfriend.


Oh, dear, it's been so long since I started this post. I've completely forgotten some of these zines and how I felt about them. This post is also making me a little sad by reminding me what I'm missing by no longer interacting with the library's zine collection in an official capacity. I could make an effort to read more zines on my own, but gosh and golly there are so may other things on my to-read list. First-world problems, amiright?


Wuvable Oaf #1-3, by Ed Luce
Are they zines, are they floppies? Now they're all together in a graphic novel with actual hardcover! Life is never boring for this cuddly and sweet great big hairy bear of a guy looking for love and kitties.

Come On Down: true game show tales by winners, losers, viewers, & folks behind the scenes, edited by Matt Carman
I was in the audience of a game show during eighth grade, and about 10 years ago I was obsessed with The Price Is Right and made plans to spend a couple weeks in the LA area studying grocery prices. Alas, I never came up with a clever enough tee-shirt slogan, which is the key to being selected as a contestant (unless you happen to have a military uniform). Anyway, enough about me... the title of this zine tells you what you need to know, so I'll just add that I liked it and I think you will too.

Corpoland and Chumptown, by Skylaar Amann
Two excellent, mostly visual zines: one is a satirical look at the workplace, one lampoons the hipster culture of Portland. I'll let you guess which is which.

Portland's Black Panthers, by Sarah Mirk and Khris Soden
Part of the Oregon History Comics series, so quality is assured. My only regret is that it's so short, but at least it's an introduction to a little-known bit of local history. (Although how "little" depends on whom one asks, I suppose.)

Under the Arch: A DIY Guide to Reno, edited by Sarah Lillegard
This zine briefly had me convinced Reno was the new Portland. (But wasn't Boise supposed to be the new Portland? Or was it Asheville, N.C.?) Maybe not; maybe it's still the best kept secret, not yet spoiled by hipsters and Bay Area telecommuters.

Backstage Past vol. 2, by Orly MC
Don't remember specifics, such as what bands are included, but the stories are enjoyable enough, even if you're not a huge music fan who tries to sneak onto tour buses.

The Prince Zine, by Joshua James Amberson
I actually learned stuff about Prince and his musical empire by reading this zine. Not that I was any sort of Prince expert or aficionado beforehand, but I like a good nonfiction zine that teaches me something new.

God Is Disappointed in You, by Mark Russell
Another zine project that culminated in a hardcover book. Every part of the Bible retold in simple, contemporary language — with humor! But not, so far as I have read, any disdain for Christian beliefs.

Bucko, by Jeff Parker and Erica Moen
This mini-comic zine grew into a book too! All the cool kids are doing it. I haven't read the whole book, just this zine, so I don't know where the full story goes. This part involves a hangover, a job interview, intestinal distress, and a dead body.

Radio: Truly Crucial Rock n Roll #2, by Mark Rudolph and Kevin Cross
I have zero memory of this one. [sad trombone sound]

Angry Dad vs. Gay Son, by Will Varner
A coming out story in words and pictures. It might even have a fold-out poster, or I might be mixing it up with a different zine. I remember a silver and purple palette.

Think It Over: an introduction to the Industrial Workers of the World, by Tim Acott
Don't recall much here either. One of the first zines I ever read was written by someone who was working as a union organizer. Along with radical politics, labor history and organizing is a slender but sturdy thread in zine-world.

Portland Oregon Hiphop: four essays on style and place, by Martha Grover
Even the whitest major city in the U.S. has a hip hop scene. This zine only skims the surface. I had hoped for more depth, but it's a good start.

Bisclavret, by Marie de France
[more sad trombone sounds] My library quit doing subject cataloging of zines, and also quit adding staff-written summaries, so I can't tell what this one is about. It does have the call number for mini-comics, though. While the zine collection is primarily a browsing collection, I still think some cataloging is worthwhile, especially since the collection is spread over multiple locations. But since when has anyone listened to me?

My Every Single Thought, by Corinne Mucha
No recollections and minimal cataloging here too. Mini-comic about being a single person, a subject close to my (cold, withered) heart, but apparently not particularly memorable.

What Were You Raised by Wolves? by Vera Brosgol
Another mini-comic I don't recall. But I've heard the young adult graphic novel Anya's Ghost is very good.

Why Can Everybody Fart Except for Me? [unknown]
My library doesn't have this zine at all anymore, so I don't even know who made it. Yes, I'm too lazy to google.


No comments: